Sunday, March 6, 2011

It does look like an elephant....


I am a little late delivering the news, but Banksy was in Los Angeles!!! This is actually like a dream come true for me, hence the all the exclamation points, which correctly indicate my having a little personal freak out moment. Originally seven pieces went up (you can see them all on Banksy's website) but only three have already been taken down---I think it's much like the TV show "Lost"; 'which Banksy can last the longest on the island?!' I've already photographed three of them and there is one more still standing which has been put behind Plexiglas (something I have mixed feelings about).

I'm pretty much going to start bitching about everything wrong with the world, so feel free to stop reading: The stencil above was (I think) the first piece to go up so it was getting a lot of attention, and when I went to photograph it, there was a literally a crowd of people, most of whom did not actually know what they were looking at. I find it really funny, though actually somewhat sad, that the more Banksy tries to distance himself from these art snobs and poser hipsters, the more attention he gets from them for his rebellious work. In my post about "Shelter From the Storm" I mentioned that Bob Dylan seems to have become more known for being him, then for his music, which seems to be a common trend not only for music, but for everything, which now includes Banksy. Maybe though, this is just my reaction to the thing that "ticks me off" most: people whom I hate, or feel that I am the antithesis of, suddenly liking something I have liked forever. Okay, that pretty much makes me sound like a crabby old lady with cat eye glasses, a cane, and an omnipresent sneer, which doubles not only as a look of self-content, but also one of world contempt.

The post title references a piece he put up on the Pacific Coast Highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment