Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paris Je T'Aime


























































Yes, I have been gone for quite a while, and I'm sorry about that, but not too sorry because...well, I WAS IN PARIS!!!!

Many of my friends had always loved France, but for me it didn't start until December of 2010 with help from my friend and oddly enough a movie that I find to be just awful (which shall remain nameless), but all that love was let out and turned into an utter obsession with France. Thus, being able to actually visit Paris was a dream come true. Actually, it was more then I ever could have even come close to dreaming...

While there, I wrote a lot about my feelings towards Paris and ultimately came to the conclusion that the only word to really describe it is "beautiful". That being said, I think the beauty of France is illustrated in the above, which is partially centered around Paris Je T'Aime, which is so much more then a film, rather a collection of short films by some of the most talented directors of today (at least in my opinion). I love too many of the short films to share, so I chose my two absolute favourites: The ever-talented Gus Van Sant's Le Marais, which I now have an even greater appreciation for both because I went to the Marais (and loved it), and also, more importantly because I had a relatively similar experience to the beautiful Gaspard and Ellie on the streets of Paris ;D The other is 14e arrondissement by Alexander Payne, who, though quite possibly a sadist, is my hero. Like all of his films, this short perfectly captures a normal--and thus subtly tragic--human life in addition to the essence of human emotion.

Tour Eiffel (Sylvain Chomet), Steven Meisel, Audrey Marnay by Arthur Elgort, the Paris scene from An Education, Tuileries (Coen Brothers), Anja Rubik by Terry Richardson, me in the Maris, Jeisa Chiminazzo in Japanese Bazaar, the most perfect man I saw outside of Shakespeare and Company






No comments:

Post a Comment