Saturday, January 1, 2011

And a Happy New Year

A very happy 2011 to everybody hopefully this will be an exciting and wonderful year!

To kiss 2010 goodbye I am giving a short list of my personal favourites from (what is now) last year.

Best movie, "Somewhere": this movie is unbelievably beautiful...I could feel it touching my heart while I watched it. The trailer gives the idea (though I would highly recommend actually seeing the movie) and uses one of my favourite songs, "I'll try Anything Once" done by Julian Casablancas (it's the demo version of the Strokes' song "You Only Live Once")

Best Album(s): I know that if something is the best, it's better then everything else, and thus can only there can only be ONE best...but 2010 was just such a damn good year for music that I even had trouble picking these top three!

Broken Bells and their eponymous album: I mentioned this record when I first started listening to it because it is instantly striking. I think that Danger Mouse is one of the most talented (and also one of the coolest) people in the music industry today, and James Mercer has probably the most melodic and invoking voice I've ever heard. So, of course the mix of them together is unstoppable. Every song is amazing and unique, but I'd particularly recommend "Vaporize", "October", and "The High Road"

MGMT Congratulations: I really love MGMT...and though I was originally sad about their over-popularization, now I feel bad about all the hate they are getting for their second album. Personally, I think it's actually a pretty good...it's definitely different then Oracular Spectacular, but maybe more "mature" (I put that in quotes because it sounds pretentious, but now I'm worried I am turning into a Chris Farley bit I particularly like the

No comments:

Post a Comment