Saturday, January 1, 2011

And a Happy New Year

A very happy 2011 to everybody hopefully this will be an exciting and wonderful year!

To kiss 2010 goodbye I am giving a short list of my personal favourites from (what is now) last year.

Best movie, "Somewhere": this movie is unbelievably beautiful...I could feel it touching my heart while I watched it. The trailer gives the idea (though I would highly recommend actually seeing the movie) and uses one of my favourite songs, "I'll try Anything Once" done by Julian Casablancas (it's the demo version of the Strokes' song "You Only Live Once")

Best Album(s): I know that if something is the best, it's better then everything else, and thus can only there can only be ONE best...but 2010 was just such a damn good year for music that I even had trouble picking these top three!
Broken Bells and their eponymous album: I mentioned this record when I first started listening to it because it is instantly striking. I think that Danger Mouse is one of the most talented (and also one of the coolest) people in the music industry today, and James Mercer has probably the most melodic and invoking voice I've ever heard. So, of course the mix of them together is unstoppable. Every song is amazing and unique, but I'd particularly recommend, "Vaporize", "October", and "The High Road".

MGMT Congratulations: I'm really sad about all the the hate that MGMT is getting for their second album, especially because I actually think it's quite good! It's true that it's very different from Oracular Spectacular, but it's also got a more "mature" sound (I put that in quotes because it sounds pretentious, but now I feel like a Chris Farley Weekend Update) I really like the songs "I Found a Whistle", "Flash Delirium", and my favourite song would have to be, "Congratulations".

The Black Keys Brothers: I kind of feel like I jumped on the Black Keys bandwagon, but it's kind of hard not to because their most recent album is just sooooo good! They have a totally unique sound, that is an amazingly eclectic mix of retro blues and and very modern rock. At the risk of sounding like a Disney trailer, Brothers is fun for the whole family; me, my dad, and my brother all are loving it! I particularly recommend the songs "Everlasting Light", "Tighten Up" (which is produced by Danger Mouse), and "Howlin' For You".

Best Art Exhibit, The Art of Tim Burton: This show was a tour de force...it was something totally different and totally amazing, something strange and wonderful! I've always loved Tim Burton's non-film art, but I had never seen so many and they way they were arranged was really just fantastic! I am so ecstatic that the show is coming to my local LACMA.

Best Restaurant that opened in 2010, Chego: Roy Choi is officially my hero, I fell in love when I ate at the Kogi Truck (the Korean/Mexican fusion truck that gave him his reputation and started the LA food truck craze). But then my heart melted completely when I got take out from Chego...I can't find an adjective that even begins to express the deliciousness, so let me just tell you what my family had: Korean "3 PM" meatballs, Tiny’s Prime Rib Rice Plate, Tres Leches (possibly the best dessert I have ever had). I also recently went to A Frame, the newest restaurant to join the family, (which was also amazing, but my heart still lies with Chego) where I met Mr. Choi himself who became my idol even more, when he described an ice cream sandwich as ghetto!

Best Street art, Banksy in San Francisco: It's Banksy, it's in San Francisco...I think that's all that needs to be said

While all these things are great, by far the best part of 2010 was spending it with my family and friends.

Bye 2010...2011 you have a lot to live up to!

sources: somewhere, broken bells, MGMT, black keys, tim burton, chego

No comments:

Post a Comment