Saturday, September 17, 2011

I'm a VAGABOND travelling from SANTA FE to EAST HARLEM


In my opinion the best things in life are the ones that remove you from your universe and take you into another world, one just filled with beauty. This can come in many different forms: art, theatre, film, or music, as in this case. I most recently experienced this transplant into a "scenic world" when I first laid the needle on Beirut's new album, The Rip Tide. The album makes me feel like I am living in the French seaside, having a picnic on a blue sky day, smoking with a long cigarette holder, in the company of wonderful people. While the whole record evokes extreme emotion, I would most highly recommend East Harlem, Santa Fe, and Vagabond.

The photograph is by Garry Winogrand and was probably the first photograph to really resonate with me. I think it is the perfect image to accompany this album and very much proves my point because (at least to me) there is a sliver of perfect world captured in that photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment